Covidien 4420-23 - Suture Novafil Mono Blu C13 5-0 18" 12/BX
Covidien 8886442023 NOVAFIL Monofilament Polybutester Suture, Reverse Cutting, Size 5-0, Blue, 18", Needle C-13, 3/8 Circle (Pack of 12)
Novafil non-absorbable monofilament surgical sutures are composed of polybutester fiber. The suture is available dyed blue to provide visibility or clear, and are indicated for use in general soft tissue approximation and/or ligation - including use in cardiovascular and ophthalmic surgery. Novafil polybutester sutures unique composition gives the suture:
- Suppleness and easy handling
- Unique elasticity and flexibility
- Excellent knot security
- Less tissue drag and smooth knot run-down
- Fray resistance
- Unique resistance to creep and structural fatigue
Tension Control During Cosmetic Procedures
Acute Elongation Accommodates Edema
In skin closure, edema may result from fluid accumulation at the closure site. Novafil polybutester construction offers a controlled elasticity that will accommodate swelling that occurs during the healing process and the patient will experience less tension on a healing wound.
Unlike nylon or polypropylene material that may not recover from stretching, Novafil is "creep resistant" and can return to its original form when edema recedes. Novafil helps diminish the risk of hypertrophic scarring by keeping constant support on the sutured incision. And, unlike hydrophilic nylons that absorb moisture and may adhere to tissue, Novafil suture is moisture repellent. The removal of Novafil suture from skin, fascia or muscle provides a smooth pull-through that is less likely to damage the tissue.
The Elastic Properties of Polybutester are Designed to Provide:
See How Novafil Sutures Perform in Each Wound Healing Phase
Dynamic Wounds Need Dynamic Sutures
- Wounds to the dermis experience considerable edema and wound expansion in the first 24 hours after surgery. According to clinical studies, edema causes wounds to expand by an average of 1 mm.
- Because current monofilament sutures are static and relatively inelastic they do not expand to accommodate edema which may negatively impact scar formation. Novafil suture is dynamic. It stretches with edema and returns to its original shape when the swelling subsides.
Better Cosmetic Results with Novafil Sutures
- In a study comparing Novafil suture to nylon, Novafil suture reduced the risk of hypertrophic scarring.
- In an additional comparative study, the use of Novafil sutures helps contribute to less scarring than polypropylene.
Excellent Suture Handling Characteristics
Whether you are an experienced surgeon or are suturing a patient for the very first time, the unique properties of Novafil sutures make it easier to tie, confident knots and efficiently care for your patients
More Benefits, Knot To Knot
Compared to polypropylene suture products, Novafil suture offers features that potentially help facilitate successful skin closure and wound healing.
Comparison between Nylon, Polypropylene & Polybutester Suture. (Stiffness vs. Pliability)